The second round of college counseling meetings will begin in late February and will continue through early April. Students will receive their meeting time via email in the coming days. Parents are invited to attend the second and third round meetings and should discuss with your student whether you will do so. If you and/or your student would find it easier to meet during Spring Break, contact Mrs. Peterson to inquire about counselor availability.
Parents, in the coming months you can help your PA junior prepare for the college process in the following ways:
- Ensure that your student is signed up for the SAT or ACT and is thinking about whether to take an SAT Subject Test this spring (this will come up in individual meetings).
- Start using Naviance Student or a search engine such as Big Future with your student to investigate different colleges. The counselors will be using the “Colleges I am thinking about” list during all individual meetings this spring.
- Plan to attend PA College Day on April 10! Parents of juniors are encouraged to attend the entire event, including topical sessions presented by admissions representatives and the fair itself.
- Give some thought to visiting college campuses during upcoming breaks or long weekends. Scheduling visits to local campuses on a day off from school can be an excellent way to determine which type of campuses further from home may merit a visit.
- Analyze your finances and use a net price calculator (available on every institution’s financial aid website) to help determine what your family can afford to spend on educational expenses, as well as how much need-based assistance may be available. Start to bring your student into this important discussion, as it is important to be on the same page. Do not rule out reasonable levels of borrowing under the favorable terms of federal loans as part of the overall picture.
- Complete the Junior Parent Survey in Naviance Student. We would like to have all the information and insights we can in order to advise your students well! Please contact Sally Peterson if you are experiencing difficulty logging into Naviance Student.
- We encourage all juniors to take a look at the Summer Enrichment Program information included in the e-Bulletin. See your student’s college counselor with questions.