College Day is Almost Here!
We are excited to welcome nearly 100 post-secondary institutions from around the country (and the world) on Wednesday, April 6. The college fair is scheduled from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. in Gym A. All Upper School parents are invited to attend. Parents may also arrive early enough for the topical sessions, which are scheduled for 12:45 – 1:30 p.m. in various Upper School classroom locations. Here are a few suggestions for following up with your student and helping them to get the most out of College Day:
- Grade 9 students will attend a session as a class introducing them to the college search process (and tips about College Day).
- All Grade 10 and 11 students should have completed a short survey in Naviance Student to indicate their top choice(s) for their topical session assignment. Students will receive an email on Tuesday with their College Day schedule.
- We have also introduced a pilot service to students/families through Strivescan, allowing students to use a bar code to scan their contact information at some of the college fair booths. This service is secure and utilized by many state, regional, and national college fairs across the country.
- You can help your student think about objective criteria and subjective criteria that could be important to their college search (and how to know the difference), and have a conversation about any family-related factors or expectations that may impact his or her college search. Encourage him or her to use the college fair time purposefully, to have respectful interactions with our college admission guests, and to take full advantage of this unique opportunity to learn about a truly wide range of post-secondary options.
- Grade 11 students should be able to craft a College Day plan based on their first two college meetings and their current “Colleges I am Thinking About” list in Naviance Student.
College Day has become one the signature celebratory occasions of each academic year at Providence Academy and we sincerely hope that this event aids your family’s postsecondary planning. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Hogan, Director of College Counseling and Alumni Engagement.