Dear Lower School Parents,
As the first day of school draws near, we are excitedly preparing for the arrival of our students!
In this note, you will find the latest information update about procedures for Lower School families and students. While I don’t wish to fill your inbox with emails, there will be much information to share in the coming days. Information will be sent to you as it becomes available and also posted in the E-Bulletin each Monday.
Extended Day (after school care)
Update: Registration will open on Monday, August 17 at 8 am. For information and registration on Monday go to Extended Day on the P.A. website.
As noted in last week’s letter, we will begin the school year with registration for five days per week only for both Little Pals (PreK) and Kidventures (K-5.) There will be no drop-in option.
Since we need to limit groups and provide enough distance between students, space is limited in Extended Day programs this year. Students should leave campus as soon as possible at the end of the school day and so we ask that families consider registering students only if there is a need for child care so that we may serve those families most in need of this service. If the program fills, we will create a waitlist and fill open spaces as available. The staff and I look forward to expanding the service as it becomes possible to do so.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
There have been some questions about dropping off students in the morning and picking up students at the end of the day. Please refer to the map linked here to help in visualizing these directions.
All drivers who are picking up or dropping off Lower School students should enter the campus at the main entrance gate, make an immediate right turn and do one of the following:
- PreK, Kindergarten, 1st grade: Enter the main parking lot to park their car and escort their child to the building. Older siblings may also enter with their parents.
- 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th grade: Continue to the far right curb along the softball field, pull along that curb until reaching the semi circle sidewalk area, and allow their students to exit the car at the sidewalk curb. The student will be able to enter the building at the doors near the playground.
The school doors will be open to students at 8 am. We will not be able to accommodate students before 8 am. Parents may drop off students any time between 8 am and 8:25 am. There will be no breakfast at this time. Classes begin at 8:30 am.
1. PreK, K, and 1st grade students: Parents should park in the main parking lot (not the bus drop off lot) and walk their children to the east side doors (near the playground).
Parents should escort their child to the entry area just inside the building. A staff member will be waiting to greet students and escort them to their classrooms. If a Kindergarten or First Grade student has a responsible older sibling (4th grade or older) who can walk them in, the older sibling may accompany a younger child. The older sibling will need to stay by the younger student’s side and be sure to make contact with a waiting staff member to transfer their younger sibling. They may not walk apart from the younger sibling.
We will review this procedure for Kindergarten and First Grade students as the students become more comfortable later in the year.
By state statute, PreK students may never be dropped off to walk to the building on their own. They must be escorted into their care building by a parent or caregiver.
2. Grades 2 – 5 students should be dropped off at the curb of the semi-circle parking lot near the softball field. They may walk to the building on their own.
New students in these grades may also be escorted into the east entry by parents, if they prefer. Staff will greet these new students and help them to get to their classrooms during the first few days of school, until each student feels comfortable entering the building on their own.
All drivers who are picking up or dropping off Lower School students should enter the campus at the main entrance gate, make an immediate right turn and
- Park in the main parking lot to meet their child in the brick walkway area in front of the building. PreK and Kindergarten parents are asked to do this since their children are dismissed a bit earlier than other students. Please do not stand on the front sidewalk area as this blocks the safe passage of older students.
- Continue to the far right curb along the softball field, pull along that curb until reaching the semi-circle sidewalk area.
1. PreK and Kindergarten students will be dismissed at 3:05 pm. They will be escorted out of the front doors to meet their parents at the front brick walkway of the building at 3:05 pm.
2. 1st – 5th Grade students will be escorted out of the east doors (playground area) to allow any bus riders to get to their buses. They will then walk around to the front of the building, dismissing to cars waiting along the curb or meeting the waiting parents in the front brick walkway of the building.
Drivers may not exit their cars in the carpool (curb) line at any time.
Please do not stand on the sidewalk area as it creates an unsafe condition for the students walking along the sidewalk with their teachers.
1st – 5th grade students will leave their classrooms at 3:15 pm.
3. Late dismissal will not be an option, at least at the beginning of the year. Teachers will, as always, wait with students until 3:30 pm. Parents who wish to arrive around 3:28 usually find the crowd has decreased.
Some families had difficulty finding the face-covering policy.
This policy applies to all P.A. students, K – 12th grade. Please note that PreK, K, and 1st grade students will have at least two recesses per day. Other grades will work to go outside more than one time per day, as well.